HOW TO GET YOUR KIDS TO EAT MORE VEGETABLES SO THEY AVOID DEVELOPING TYPE 2 DIABETES
1. Don’t get emotional when your kids don’t eat their vegetables. By placing more emphasis on them not eating vegetables, you are making a big deal about it. This is similar to parents placing a lot of emphasis on weight – so children then end up being overconcerned about it.
2. Get your children involved in cooking. When they cook, they empower themselves to take responsibility for their nutrition and what they are eating.
3. Get your children involved in making smoothies. Smoothies are a lot of fun. You could add half an avocado, strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries to smoothies, along with chia seeds.
4. Place vegetables on a veggie platter instead of offering processed foods. Veggie trays look fancy – and kids like fanciful foods.
5. Add more vegetables to your pizza. Adding them to pizza makes vegetables more acceptable and practical.
6. Let your children see you eating and loving vegetables. Role models are powerful.
7. Bring out the dips. Vegetables are much more exciting once they can dip them.
8. Bring out the chocolate. Warm up chocolate and dip fruit pieces into it. For example, you could have your children dip in apple pieces, peach or nectarine peaches, even berries and pears.
9. Take your children to the farmers markets with you to help with the selection of vegetables and fruits. Kids will look forward to the farmers markets and start paying more attention to eating vegetables if they are part of the process.
Beverleigh H Piepers RN
Type 2 Diabetes Health Coach